I have a strong urge today to remind myself and others why IEP’s matter. You see, sometimes we get so caught up in the legalese of Special Education that we forget about the child who needs our help. So below are my reasons that IEP’s matter:
1. Every child deserves to have their rights protected even if they have a disability;
2. Every child deserves to have a chance to lead a productive and independent life;
3. Every Child deserves a chance to be taught life skills that will help them gain employment in the future;
4. Every child deserves a chance to continue in post-secondary education;
5. Every child deserves to be taught based on their unique needs;
6. Every child deserves a chance to learn and not at a pre-determined pace but at their own pace;
7. Every child deserves a chance to learn how to interact with people and make friends. Socialization is a big part of the curriculum and don’t ever let anyone tell you any different;
8. Every child deserves a chance to be inspired and not feel like an outcast for being different;
9. Every child deserves a chance to find their own voice and self-advocate for themselves; and
10. Because every child matters!!!
Why do you think IEP's matter? We want to hear from you please comment below.